Going to the town of Tubac is like going back in time. The Presidio of San Ignacio de Tubac was established along the banks of the Santa Cruz River in 1752 as the result of Spanish soldiers putting down a revolt by local Pima Indians against the King of Spain. The fifty Spanish soldiers made the Tubac presidio the first permanent European settlement to be established in what would someday become our Arizona.
The name “Tubac” is believed to have come from a Tohono O’odham word that translate to mean “place of decay”, a reference to the site of a deadly Indian battle. Father Eusebio Kino first stopped here in 1691 converting the native people and showing them new methods of farming and ways to raise cattle.
Tubac also holds the honor as the site of Arizona’s first state park. The Tubac Presidio State Historic Park was established in 1958 and is a wonderful place to enjoy a change of pace from all the artistic and culinary offerings of this Arizona arts festival.
Visitors to this Arizona State Park will find an underground archeological display that features the ruins of the original fort adobe walls and plaza floor. In addition the town’s 1885 schoolhouse, a picnic area and an interesting visitors center that tells the story of this historic Arizona town can be a fun adventure for all members of the family.
When visiting Tubac on any glorious weekend to savor the always present artistic and culinary offerings of the town, let us suggest you consider staying at the Tubac Country Inn. Innkeepers April and Ivan Drechsler are the perfect inn hosts and all the arts, foods and history of the town are within easy walking distance of this romantic Arizona Bed & Breakfast.
For more information: http://www.tubacarizona.com/